Monday, July 29, 2013

On My Transformation from a Fighter to a Martial Artist

The first time I saw the Wai Khru Ram Muay, I was at a Muay Thai show in Southern California.   I thought it was a very captivating dance.  However the 17th time I saw it that night I just wanted them to get on with the fights.  At the time I was not a martial artist, I was an athlete who was becoming a fighter.  I found all the pomp and circumstance a little ritualistic and even silly.  Why would you bow before you step on the mat?  I’m paying to be here…  No shoes on the mat?  I get that, it’s sanitary.  Respect your sparring partners?  That’s just being a good person.  I’m not here for formalities, I’m here to train and compete.

I've been an athlete in my heart since my first track meet in kindergarten.  My growth and understanding in becoming a martial artist has been a long journey.  My basketball skills have given me good footwork, but have done little to improve my spirit.

I honestly can’t say where the shift in my mentality began.  I've always sworn by the benefits of yoga for fighters.  It is essential for balance in your life and joint alignment.  Over time, I recognized the benefits of getting my energy moving before training.  Or maybe it was the day my coach began to teach us about using energy to block punches.  I noticed the change when I began putting on a gi regularly and learning a traditional martial art (Judo) for the first time.  Little by little the things I was seeing were changing my mind and easing my fears that I was using some kind of witchcraft.  I am open to all the mysteries God has created in the universe, and I believe martial arts is one of the last places to teach and embrace them.

The more I think about it, we are a society of ritualists.  We say the pledge of allegiance every morning in classrooms.  Parents have nightly routines to get their children to bed.  I even had a ritual ball bouncing sequence before shooting a free-throw or serving a volleyball.  I believe it is a method of clearing your mind, a moment of meditation.  It removes anxiety, as we know what’s coming next.


I now take pleasure in bowing before and after I step on the mat.  It is a show of respect for a place that has become my second home.  It is a show of respect for my instructors and my training partners.  It is a show of respect for me and for my art.  I regret that I never learned the Ram Muay, but I’m now taking that as an example to find my own prefight ritual, including bowing to my opponent.  

No comments :

Post a Comment