Thursday, August 1, 2013

Some Thoughts on Motivation


“What motivates you?” That was the best question I've ever been asked in an interview.  I wasn't prepared.  I pulled a quote from the only useful motivational speech I've ever heard.  “To be a little better than I was yesterday.”  I learned in that moment, that is the principle of Kaizen, a philosophy I hold dear, but it’s not what motivates me.  I guess the answer worked, because I got the job.   More importantly, I believe the question changed my life as I began to search for the answer.

I think most people define their motivation (if they define it at all) extrinsically.  I want to be champion.  I want to be my boss’s boss.  I want to be the best parent ever.  If these things motivate you, to what length?  Would you take performance enhancing drugs?  Step on your friends and colleagues to get ahead? Kill a girl that made the cheer squad over your daughter?  There’s nothing wrong with extrinsic motivation, but I think you must define the whole picture or you can drastically miss your mark.

That motivational speech to which I referred, the man was a millionaire.  His greatest accomplishment was to be successful as a parent, husband and friend.  He also said that no matter what he forgot when he left home, it could be shipped or replaced, the only exception was his integrity.  This was a man who had his goals and his motivation defined and separated.

I define my motivation as this: I want to be a person I can be proud of.  I want to be a person that awkward eight-year-old tomboy Katie is ecstatic that she grew up to be.  I’m a professional athlete, how cool is that?  I work hard, and don’t cut corners.  I’m devoted to my family, my integrity is intact.  I speak my truth, and I truly care more about being myself than what other people think of me.  I think I have found coherence in that, and when I achieve my goals, I will still have the same motivation.  This goes back to my original answer, Kaizen.  Every day I try to make that eight-year-old a little prouder.

No comments :

Post a Comment