Tuesday, July 9, 2013

On Life and Martial Arts

When you compete in any combat sport, you get a snapshot of your soul.  Who you are in competition is who you are in life, stripped down, no pretenses, just you.  I learn more about myself from fighting and training than I do anywhere else in my life. 

When you are in survival mode there is no time to contemplate manipulation, to lie to yourself, or present yourself as something other than who you are.  If you hesitate for ½ a second you could end up flat on your back, game over.  Oh believe me, there is plenty of manipulation and deception that takes place in competition.  But, it has all been rehearsed, repeated, and perfected in the gym until it is executed as instinct.  In other words, you created something different in yourself and the snapshot is of a different you.

In my last fight, I saw courage, patience, and an ability to adapt to unexpected situations.  I also saw a woman who was waiting for her opportunities instead of creating them.  I was playing my opponent’s game, and I lost.  I started noticing the same things happening in the rest of my life and I began making changes.  This requires a constant and conscious effort to be the person I want to be.  It’s not easy, but when I consider the alternative, I don’t really have a choice.

If I only choose to accept what is given to me, maybe I win the lottery, maybe I die in poverty.  I have no responsibility for the consequences of either.  Too many of my peers choose this route.  I’ve discovered when you take away that responsibility, you can allow your fear of failure to prevent you from taking chances for success. 

A glimpse inside myself can come from a million places, a child mimicking my behavior, an aging relative, a random act of kindness or social perceptions, reactions or labels.  I can choose to accept that this is who I am or I can foster those qualities I like and change those that I don’t.

If I want to improve as a martial artist, I must choose to improve as a human being.


www.KatieCasimir.com

1 comment :