Wednesday, July 17, 2013

On The Benefits of Down Time

Sometimes I used to read Daily Bread (a Bible based daily devotional) with my mother.  I remember one very clearly.  God will choose your time to work and your time to rest.  When we are sick or injured, we don’t have to wallow in our misery and lament all the work we are missing.  We can take this time to rest our bodies, and work on other areas of our lives.  Do not ignore this opportunity.  Not only is it dangerous for your health and body, but it is also counterproductive to your ultimate objective.

I recently had to back out of a fight due to a torn hamstring.  Pain, no training for 6-8 weeks, and worst of all, no fight.  OK, time to rest.  Honestly, I should have backed out three weeks earlier when I broke my nose, or two weeks earlier when I separated a rib, and then there was my wrist and my shoulder…  This fight was not supposed to happen.  Every day it became more evident why. 

1st My opponent seems to be an armbar expert, and that is a submission to which I seem to be susceptible. (BTW if you are a future opponent using this blog to help your playbook, I’m already two steps ahead of you or I never would have posted this.)

2nd I didn't take an opportunity to start teaching kickboxing again so I could train for this fight.  A week after the injury, the job called and wanted to know if I was still interested.  They were ready to work with my schedule.

3rd I read a life changing blog by Ray Elbe on making a living as a fighter.   It inspired me to start writing and do a better job marketing myself.  Between working, training and family responsibilities I wouldn't have had time to make that happen.

We all cheat a little on our sleep, work an extra couple hours, and think it’s good for the bottom line.  It’s not.  I was training so hard for this fight I forgot to listen to my body.  So, my body made me listen.  And God had plans for me too, which is always cool.

1 comment :

  1. My hope is that you will be back in action soon and stronger for the "downtime". I am enjoying your blog daily--keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete