Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My Take on the Belt System

“So, are you like, a black belt?”  Nope.  I’m a white belt in everything.  Except of course, Muay Thai, Boxing, grappling, you know the sports which most closely translate into MMA. They don’t have belts.  It used to frustrate me because I’ve put years into my training, and somehow that doesn’t mean as much to the common observer as a belt color that they probably don’t understand anyway.  Now it’s become one of those questions I answer with one word “nope” and let them ponder why not.

In theory it’s good.  If you put the time and work in you will receive a visible merit, which will distinguish you in any academy within your discipline.  Anyone holding a lower belt will show you the respect deserved, as you will respect those with belts higher than your own.  To achieve the level of black belt is recognized as a major accomplishment and is deserving of the highest level of respect.

My first problem with this is it is an entirely extrinsic motivation, in one of the most personal, internal endeavors I have ever encountered.  People are highly motivated by these things, to a point.  We want the respect and recognition that comes with titles, President, Director, Master.  Title is everything.  How many times will you be passed up for a promotion before your motivation will give out?  Maybe your boss or your master doesn’t recognize your talent or hard work. Or if it’s only a matter of showing up every day, people will, at some point see the lack of actual accomplishment and drop out.   If you are motivated only by your desire to improve and grow, these things will not discourage you.
The more time I spend in martial arts, the less respect I have for the whole belt system.  Some schools give out black belts like toys in Happy Meals (to quote Chael Sonnen).  Other schools let students remain in the same rank for years so they will win competitions in those divisions and bring trophies and recognition to the school.  Jiu-jitsu has age limits on belt levels (ex. You must be 19 to receive your black belt) and Judo requires that you must compete at the highest levels to attain the highest belts, while some disciplines have 12-year-olds testing for their 10th degree black belt.  I fully respect the rank of black belt, and those people who truly deserve that honor. But honestly I would have that same respect for those people if they held lower belts because of their dedication, knowledge and passion for their discipline.
I was told once that the original martial arts only had two belts. White and Black.  I don’t know if this is true, but I like the idea.  You are a student until you are a master, and when you are truly a master you are always a student.  You build your reputation with your skill and determination… Something like Muay Thai, boxing, grappling, and Mixed Martial Arts.

No comments :

Post a Comment