Thursday, March 27, 2014

White Belt Pride

I’ve always been kind of proud of my clean, white, belt.  I guess it has something to do with my base in kickboxing, and the fact that people would introduce me as a “black belt” because that somehow held more valor than the fact that I was just a fighter.  That, in combination with a bunch of different systems, self promotions, and expensive belt tests led me to this:  My growth has never been marked with tape, a new color of belt, or any other kind of promotion.  It is mine.  I’ve discovered my personal milestones only as I’ve reached them.  My white belt represents my freedom from any specific discipline, yet I can learn from them all.  I proudly own this humble symbol of "one who has a lot to learn."

I took my first Jiu Jitsu class this week.  It was humbling to say the least.  No one expects much from a white belt with no stripes… except me…I’ve been grappling for years and I’m pretty comfortable with ground fighting.  This was very different.  Not only does the gi prevent 90% of my game from working, but took me to a level of discomfort resembling claustrophobia.  In truth, I was only going to support the new “women’s class” and because I’ve been nagging my husband to get back into his gi.  What I found was a new challenge, a new way to push myself, and a new milestone in humility.

My motivation has always been intrinsic and I’ve given little thought to belts, championship or colored.  I just want to learn and grow.  I can’t let my pride in my white belt get in the way of that.

No comments :

Post a Comment