Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Power of Mom

I know everyone thinks their mom makes the best potato salad in the world, but mine actually does.  It’s been clinically proven. On a more important note, she raises strong, empowered, free thinking women, because she is one too.  In a world where a pretty face and thin body can skew priorities, she taught me what really matters.

She told me I was beautiful through my awkward years.  She encouraged me to participate in activities where I would be valued for my creativity, athleticism, and intellect.  She found the money for me to dance when she was a single mother of two.  She rarely missed a game, a judging competition, or an opportunity to give me a hug.  She taught me to take care of myself and to care for everyone around me (especially when no one is looking).  When I shared a new dream or goal, it was never impossible, we just needed to make a plan.

She didn’t just tell me I could do anything, she lived it.  If a fence needs building, you build it.  If your kids need a horse costume for a pep rally and you live where renting isn’t an option, you put one together.  She worked full time as a teacher and cooked dinner from scratch every night.  She never complained about it being too much or being tired, not once.  She always had her garden and her book for herself, and plenty of time and energy for dancing with us in the kitchen.  She also chose a partner who is worthy of her awesomeness, which is not easy when you’re that awesome.  She married a good man that appreciates and respects her, and also knows that she can do anything.

I saw a video on facebook in which Taryn Brumfitt  asks women to describe their bodies in one word.  Sadly most women said “fat” “imperfect” “stumpy” etc… My words would be “capable” “athletic” “powerful” “beautiful”.
Thanks Mom.

No comments :

Post a Comment