Thursday, September 26, 2013

Innocence Lost

Early in my career I was at a fight show and I witnessed a moment that took a part of my innocence as a fighter and as a person.  A fight can be a beautiful dance or an exciting display of athleticism.  But sometimes it is ugly and you must make ethical decisions that you never planned on making in a split second.  This was the scenario:  Two fighters, neither very experienced, one punched to the point where he was just standing there in a daze, arms hanging by his sides.  In my opinion the fight should have been stopped, but it wasn’t.  The other was unable to react, he was shocked by the state of his opponent and the best he could do was throw a half-hearted head kick.  He was unable to finish a guy who was basically out on his feet.

What would you do?  What would I do? I love to fight, but I love to fight a challenging opponent, not someone who isn’t able to defend themselves.  A true warrior has honor and virtue, yet I am a warrior and I have a job to do.

I have assessed the situation, from a distance, and I have to come to the conclusion that ending the fight as quickly as possible is the kindest and wisest thing to do.  Another round could mean more head trauma and irreparable damage.  Should they recover, they have nothing to lose and become very dangerous, which was what happened in this fight, and the judges scored it a draw.  It was ugly from start to finish, battle is ugly.

I don’t want to trivialize the experience of war, but a fighter must prepare as a soldier.  We must be prepared to take our values and morals and look at them in the context of war.  We must understand that both fighters agreed to this situation, knowing the possible consequences of winning and losing.  Are you OK with breaking a limb and ending someone else’s career?  Or having your career ended because you didn’t submit?

I have a friend who served in Iraq.  At one point he was face to face with a pregnant woman.  She had a grenade in her hand.  What would you do?  What would I do?

No comments :

Post a Comment